Organic lifestyle does not only brings positive effects to your health, but also to the planet.
We have gathered 5 most obvious reasons why we should support organic farming.
1. Avoid chemicals and pesticides Organic farming is based on natural methods for keeping weeds and pests down, and no synthetic pesticides are used. When you buy organic, you therefore save yourself the risk of residues of pesticides. We are all surrounded by chemicals in our daily life that potentially could harm our health. This is a way to minimize that risk.
2. Protect the environment Organic farming ensures that nature stays clean and rich. Visit an organic farm and you will notice something; a buzz of animal, bird, and insect activity. Research shows that there are around 30 percent more wildlife and plants near ecological production fields compared to conventional farming. This is due to the fact that there are no pesticides, and fertilizer is used far less. This is also good for the groundwater. The environment downstream from industrial farms is being visibly affected by the amount of chemicals that run off into the water. So when you buy organic food, you help to save our common water for residues of toxins that are used on non-organic fields.
3. Benefit from more nutrients It is proven that you can gain more nutrients and vitamins from ingredients grown from organic farming than conventional farming. In 2014, British Journal of Nutrition found that organic ingredients have substantially higher concentrations of antioxidants and other beneficial compounds. Consumption of these compounds is linked to a variety of benefits, including anti-inflammatory effects.
4. Support local farmers and protect their surroundings from toxic chemicals If we take the Cameroon as an example, the percentage of organic farms vs. industrial operations is extremely unbalanced. Only about 1 of every 20 farms in the Cameroon are organic. The more we can support these farmers and their production, the more things can be done right. Organic farming helps to protect both groundwater and biodiversity, which is of major importance to the people and animals living nearby the production. According to the World Health Organization, between 20,000 and 40,000 people die every year due to pesticide poisoning. But it is not only the farmers who are affected by pesticides, the use of chemicals also has a major impact on the local population. Several researchers have found significant increases in the number of cancer cases and other diseases in production areas. By purchasing organic products, you can be sure that production does not harm local communities.
5. Avoid GMO Buying organic is also the only way to make sure to avoid GMO products. GMO stands for ‘genetically modified organism’, which means that the ingredient is created from an unnatural composition of genes to give it new characteristics. Eleven years ago, genetically modified products were not part of our food supply, today 30 percent of our crops are planted in GMO’s. Organic farmers do not use GMO’s as the health consequences are not 100% known, and for the time being, we do not know how genetically engineered plants spread to nature. Chat Conversation End
Type a message...